SquareSpace VS WordPress, which platform to choose for your future website?
Let me give you the conclusion of this article: it depends. I will not recommend one solution over another without knowing your situation
These are two great choices that will give you a functional and secure website
“Dahhhh, it depends, it depends? But how do I make up my mind !? ”
I’ve got your back! This article will provide you with the resources to be able to make an informed decision according to your situation: are you comfortable with the web?
What is your skill/knowledge level? What is the purpose of your website? etc.
This article is long but comprehensive. It is divided into 4 parts:
1- Summary comparative table: for those in a hurry
2- The functionalities, advantages, and disadvantages of each of the platforms: for those who have a hard time choosing
3- Questions & Answers: for those who still have 1000 questions
4- Now what do I do doctor? : the most important part. Try to survive until then.
This article is completely unbiased. Me, I triumph on SquareSpace, I made about thirty sites on this platform, which works as well for blogs only (mine!) As “showcase” sites.
I tried to learn WordPress at the very beginning, it gave me a really bad headache. It was Chinese pi I was wasting so much time!
It is also the platform we show in our training on creating a profitable blog.
So, we recommend both platforms quite objectively. Good choice!
1. We compare and summarize!
The main difference between the 2 platforms is that SquareSpace is an online tool, while WordPress is software that runs on its own web servers.
In practice, this means that to use SquareSpace, all you have to do is create an account and log in. You then have access to a user-friendly interface directly in your browser.
On the WordPress site, it requires more work: playing with plug-ins, themes and understanding some technical details of a website.
In the long run, this is a big advantage because you are in control of 100% of your website.
SO, the real question to ask yourself is: are you a geek like Olivier, who likes to have control over everything and learn? Or the technical side pisses you off, like me, and you want the simplest and fastest possible solution?
|For who?||Those who are ready to commit and put in the time. The learning curve, technical aspect (hosting, HTML, CSS…). You are responsible for everything: installing your theme, your hosting, the updates …||Those who want to manage their website on their own and are looking for an easy and quick solution to set up. Those who agree not to control everything 100%.|
|Flexibility / Control||100% (open-source platform)||Limited|
|Ease of use||It takes patience to have a website that looks exactly what you have in mind. Once mounted, adding content (page, articles) is easy.||10/10. No technical knowledge required. No code, HTLM, CSS needed.|
|Themes (template)||Selection from thousands of themes that you can adjust as you wish||Selection from 90+ predefined themes|
|Design customization||100%||Limited to basic elements (colors, font, size, etc.)|
|Addition of functionalities||Selection among thousands of plugins (e-commerce, pop-up, SEO …)||Restricted to choosing among the functionalities offered by the platform.|
|Support||No support. You have to turn to the community, forum, YouTube, La Tranchée …||Included via Live Chat (English) or email|
|Costs||Free, but you have to pay for your hosting ( SiteGround ) + Domain name||From $ 12 per month + your domain name|
|eCommerce||Yes, with a plugin (WooCommerce)||Yes, but if you want an eCommerce-only site, this is not the best platform.|
|Bilingualism||No problem.||Impossible on the payment page of an online store. On the website, possible, but zigging necessary.|
If you can’t make a decision with this information, keep reading. I present each platform to you in more detail: features, advantages, disadvantages, and more.
2. Platform functionalities
2.1 SQUARESPACE: BEAUTIFUL, FUNCTIONAL, AND MANAGED FOR YOU
SquareSpace, my favorite! It literally saved my life when I first started out on the web. I had to redo the website of my boyfriend’s company.
I was pulling my hair out on WordPress, the theme, the plugins, the hosting… instead of working on real content that was going to pay off.
CSS and code for me is Chinese and I didn’t have the time or the patience to learn that. On SquareSpace, the interface is WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), which means you can see the final result directly on the screen.
As I’m super visual, it was absolutely PERFECT for me. Besides, I don’t believe there is a faster solution to getting a website online.
Then, it’s really hard to do something ugly with SquareSpace because 1- their 90+ template choices are gorgeous and 2- you’re a bit confined to a mold, which prevents you from making pizza out of it. of bad taste.
- Choice of 90 templates
- No code, HTML, CSS needed
- Possibility to add CSS or HTLM (for advanced)
- Personalization of content and design (font, colors, dimensions, etc.)
- Purchase of domain name from SquareSpace (does not support .ca)
- Adding social media icons
- Support included via email or live chat
- Accommodation included
- Modules for adding a blog, e-commerce, portfolio gallery …
- SEO structure
- Access to site statistics directly in the platform
SQUARESPACE – BENEFITS
- It is an all-inclusive platform. You don’t have to worry about hosting your site. You pay an amount, monthly or annually, that starts at $ 12 per month and your site is online.
- You don’t have to worry about the technical aspect, you just focus on creating your content
- No need for technical skills, no code
- The builder (what you use to build your site) is super intuitive and easy to use
- Beautiful templates and all adaptive. It’s hard to do something ugly with SquareSpace
- No more updates to do. If there is a bug with a template, SquareSpace will fix it
- Top-notch customer service. It is in Live Chat or email format
- You can change the template along the way
SQUARESPACE – DISADVANTAGES
- You don’t control 100% of your site
- You always have to pay if you want to keep your site live
- The rigidity of templates: you can’t customize EVERYTHING you want. You have to do with what the platform or your template allows you.
- Bilingual site
- In terms of e-commerce, you will have to choose between having your payment page in English, it is not bilingual, unfortunately for the moment
2.2 WORDPRESS: ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, BUT YOU HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES
With WordPress, anything is possible, which makes it extremely powerful. It’s not for nothing that 30% of ALL websites are on WordPress! It is not for nothing either that in our training on the creation of a blog, we show how to make a website on WordPress.
On the other hand, WordPress comes with responsibilities, unlike SquareSpace which takes care of everything for you. On WordPress, you have to choose a good host, you have to make updates to avoid hacking and viruses, etc.
By taking hosting with them (very reliable), they offer you an additional 2 hours of support: training, basic installation, SEO optimization, it’s you who chooses what you need!
Yes !!!!!!!! That’s great.
If you want to do everything on your own, we recommend hosting at SiteGround and Divi or Thrive as a theme.
- More than 4000 themes offered
- More than 44,000 plug-ins, these extras that you buy (or not) to add functionalities to your site: e-commerce, membership, popup, SEO, statistics, etc.
- Advanced user management: if you have several people contributing to your site
- Advanced content management
- Endless possibilities
WORDPRESS – BENEFITS
- Open-source platform: it means that everyone can contribute
- Lots of choices of templates and plug-ins
- The most popular CMS on the web
- Generally safe
- You have 100% control over your website and its content. You are the only person who controls your site, you don’t depend on anyone.
- You pay what you want to pay for: theme, plug-in, etc. WordPress is free.
WORDPRESS – DISADVANTAGES
- You have to take care of the hosting yourself with an external provider
- You have to make the right choice of the template: make sure that they are of high quality, that they are functional, adaptive, updated, etc.
- No support. You have to do your own research on Google, YouTube, forums, etc.
- When you’ve never touched WordPress, it’s not intuitive to know where to start from the Dashboard
3. Questions & Answers
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST FOR REAL?
- Accommodation. You can expect to pay anywhere from $ 100 to $ 200 per year, depending on the reliability and support you want.
- Domain name: $ 10 to $ 20 per year.
- Theme: $ 0 to $ 90 per year. You can also have themes for a lifetime payment of $ 200-300.
- $ 12 USD per month, if you choose the annual subscription and the basic plan. The next plan, which adds an online store, among other things, costs $ 18 USD per month. See this page for full details.
- Domain name: $ 20 USD per year if you go with SquareSpace. You can also buy your name with another provider and the linker with your Squarespace website.
- No additional cost for support, security, hosting, theme, backups.
WHICH IS THE EASIEST TO SET-UPPER?
Definitely SquareSpace. You can literally have your website online in 1 hour without breaking your bike.
Those who know WordPress well will tell you that it is doing well. It is true that it is done well, when you know the hosting when you know how to install your theme, etc.
IF I WANT TO CHANGE THE PLATFORM LATER, IS IT POSSIBLE?
Yes, quite possible. The SquareSpace / WordPress migration is going one way or the other. That being said, just because it’s possible doesn’t mean it can be done in a snap. You’re going to have some adjustments and some kidding to do.
CAN I PERSONALIZE MY SITE WITHOUT A CODE?
With SquareSpace, yes, no problem. As it is a drag & drop builder, you will be able to make your modifications very easily.
With WordPress, it depends on the theme. Invest especially in a good builder, it will help you.
HOW CAN I GET HELP IF I’M STUCK?
With SquareSpace, there is a ton of documentation on their blog. If you can’t find the answer to what you’re looking for, you can ask your question in the live chat, it’s free.
On WordPress, Google will be your best friend. As WordPress is the most popular CMS, it’s quite possible that a human has already had the question before you. You are very likely to find your answer on a forum, a YouTube video, on La Tranchée, etc.
If you want technical help and save time, go ahead with the Magik Web package.
DOES THE PLATFORM WORK TO ADD A BLOG, SELL ONE OR MORE PRODUCT (S), PUBLISH MY PODCASTS?
Yes, you can do that with SquareSpace or with WordPress by adding plugins.
IS MY WEBSITE SAFE AND VIRUS-FREE?
Squarespace. Yes, your site is still safe. This makes sense since SquareSpace is a closed platform that retains 100% control over its technology.
WordPress. No, you have to be careful not to have a vulnerable site. WordPress sites have frequently been hacked because the plugins and themes that users install can be poorly coded and leave room for viruses and hackers.
There are plugins to install to help secure your website. We talk about it here.
IS MY SITE GOING TO BE RESPONSIVE?
Responsive means that it will look good on the computer, on a tablet, and on a smartphone.
On SquareSpace, yes. On WordPress, it will depend on the theme you choose.
4. What do I do now, doctor?
Do you have too much information syndrome and you’re all mixed up? I have a miracle cure for you.
Get your hands dirty and START YOURSELF, no matter what platform you choose. The important thing is to start somewhere.
Because the (hard) truth is that your website alone, no matter how beautiful and well designed it is, nobody cares and nobody will find out, ever.
It’s your content that will be discovered: your blog articles, your podcasts, your illustrations, your creations, etc.
pick a platform, get your hands dirty and take the next step in your project, creating the best possible content to bring relevant traffic to that damn site.