Functions of the stems are:
1. It bears and supports leaves, flowers and fruits.
2. The various appendages borne on the stem are placed in such a fashion that they are able to carry out their functions most effectively.
3. It conducts water and mineral salts from roots to the leaves and fruits.
4. The food manufactured in the leaves is transported to the roots, fruits and organs of storage through the stem.
5. Every year, it adds new cells, tissues and organs which are required for the continued functioning of plants.