Do you realise that certain Vicks Vaporub applications are hazardous to your health? Everyone is familiar with this strong-smelling pomade.
In general, it is utilised to clean the bronchi when you have a cold.
It relieves sore throats. It also soothes the cough.
It goes without saying that its advantages are many!
However, I just discovered that several, at times unexpected, usage are harmful to your health.
Here are seven harmful Vicks Vaporub uses that everyone should avoid.
1. Use Vicks Vaporub to lose weight
We’ve heard that applying a poultice of Vicks Vaporub to the stomach will help you lose weight.
Especially if left for an extended period of time.
Using this product to lose abdominal fat is a poor idea.
First and foremost, the efficacy of this substance for weight reduction has never been demonstrated.
But it isn’t all.
It is risky to apply big quantities to the skin repeatedly and for an extended period of time.
This increases the likelihood of harmful side effects.
A healthy diet and regular exercise are the most effective ways to reduce weight.
2. Using Vicks Vaporub on a wound
Eczema, burns, wounds…
Do you suffer from any of these skin conditions?
As a result, using Vicks Vaporub on it is not advised.
The use of this ointment raises the risk of infection.
In addition to the burnt skin!
3. Apply Vicks Vaporub daily
This ointment should be administered to the chest or neck alone.
It alleviates cold symptoms.
It is not advised to put in big amounts.
As a result, it should not be worn on both the chest and the back.
It is also not advised to apply it on your thighs!
Remember that its application must be both timely and local.
Otherwise, it raises the possibility of negative consequences.
4. Apply Vicks Vaporub to fight Covid
Despite what you may have read on the internet…
Putting Vicks Vaporub in your nose will not protect you against Covid.
Remember, however, to obey these boundary motions in order to prevent catching the Covid and passing it on.
Don’t forget to put on a mask.
5. Use the Vicks Vaporub to disinfect private parts
Some individuals seem to believe that Vicks Vaporub cleans and scents their private areas.
Gynecologists warn that this is a major error.
On the contrary, its usage increases infections by disrupting the vaginal flora, allowing infections to flourish.
“Also, if you need to tackle foul smells in your vagina, seeing a doctor is preferable than merely masking it with a solution.”
It very probably stems from a more severe condition that must be addressed,” warn the specialists.
6. Using the Vicks Vaporub during sex
When applied to the torso, this ointment might induce tingling and warmth.
Perhaps it is for this reason that some advocate using it on the private areas.
Gynecologists say this is a terrible idea!
It should not be used on mucous membranes.
Even the product’s makers warn against it.
They emphasise that “as mentioned in the product’s directions for use, use to the mucous membranes is contraindicated.”
Instead, utilise gels that are appropriate and safe for this purpose.
7. Use the Vicks Vaporub in fragile people
Some individuals are more vulnerable to the drug’s hazardous side effects than others.
Even for everyday usage.
People who are fragile are:
– Children under the age of six in local application: Vicks Vaporub should never be used on children under the age of six. Even if it is administered topically to ease cold symptoms. It is hazardous to youngsters. On the other hand, you may prepare them this natural cold medication.
– Children under 12 inhaled: It is illegal for children under the age of 12 to inhale Vicks Vaporub. Instead, try this natural chamomile therapy to heal a cold by inhalation.
– Breastfeeding mothers: the terpenes in Vicks may provide a distinct flavour to milk. It is also not suggested that newborns use these goods. As a result, it is better not to use it in pregnant women. In any event, it should NEVER be used on the breasts of women who are nursing. If you’re nursing, a ginger and honey tea might help. Consult your doctor if your cold symptoms continue.
– Pregnant women: the effects of this medication on pregnant women are unknown. If you get a cold during your pregnancy, it is thus best not to use it without first seeing your doctor. To swiftly treat a cold, pregnant women might use a nasal wash or herbal tea. Consult your doctor if the cold continues.
– The elderly: consciousness abnormalities have been seen in certain old adults. They may get angry or disoriented. As a result, it is preferable to avoid exposing the elderly to this danger. An older person suffering from a cold might benefit from one of these simple and efficient cures. If your symptoms continue, see your doctor.
– People suffering from convulsions: the terpenes in Vicks increase convulsions. It is critical not to provide Vicks to persons who have previously been exposed to this condition. Because it may raise the likelihood of having a seizure. Consult your doctor if you have a cold and are prone to seizures.
Why is Vicks Vaporub dangerous?
Terpenes may be found in significant concentrations in Vicks Vaporub.
Camphor, menthol, thymol, and eucalyptus are all ingredients in Vicks Vaporub.
All of these items are members of the terpene family.
These terpene derivatives may be harmful to the nervous system.
They may cause convulsions and, in rare situations, respiratory arrest or consciousness abnormalities (agitation and confusion).
There is also the possibility of allergic responses.
You should be aware that the more you use Vicks Vaporub, the more these ingredients enter your bloodstream.
The likelihood of encountering major adverse effects rises.
That is why, as described in the Prescrire review, it is critical to utilise this drug correctly.
You are now aware of the negative side effects of Vicks when taken incorrectly.