Amazon Seller Central Account Management and Features:
Everything You Need to Know to Get Started as a Seller
Selling on Amazon today means accessing millions of consumers on a single platform. There are two types of seller accounts: Vendor (“merchant”) or Seller (“Seller”). Today more than 58% of sellers on the platform opt for the Seller model, which allows you to sell directly to consumers via Amazon.
The Sellers are able to control their brand image, the prices of their products and are in direct contact with the users of the site. They can choose to manage orders and shipments themselves or outsource their logistics through the FBA program. (add a link to article 6 on Amazon FBA).
To do this, it is essential to know how to create, manage and optimize your Seller Central account on Amazon. In this article, find out how to register on the platform, the main features you need to know to get started, as well as our optimization tips.
Before creating the Amazon Seller Central account
In order to be sold on Amazon, certain items require special authorization, such as products in the beauty of sports and leisure category.
It is therefore important to find out beforehand and to bring all the supporting documents requested by Amazon to your Seller account.
The process can sometimes be lengthy given the delays in obtaining some of these documents if you don’t already have everything on hand.
You will then have to choose between the two sales plans offered.
- The Basic account allows you to sell a maximum of 40 articles per month. It is certainly free, but Amazon receives a commission of 0.99 € per item sold in addition to the selling costs which vary by product.
- The Amazon Pro account recommended by our experts is for its monthly price and allows you to sell as many items as possible. Selling charges for each product apply here as well, depending on the product category, ranging from 5% to 45%.
Creating an Amazon Seller Central account
Steps 1 and 2 validated, you can now create an account on Amazon Seller Central which is the interface dedicated to Sellers on Amazon. It allows sellers to manage their stocks, their advertisements, the posting of their products … In short, it allows all the management of the seller’s account and opens access to all European Marketplaces from a single platform.
Choose to be accompanied
The Amazon Seller Central platform is full of features:
it’s very easy to get lost. At Jagz we support you from A to Z: the creation of your Seller Amazon account, advice on the choice of logistics, optimization of your product sheets, management of advertising campaigns, support in internationalization strategy, and maximization of the harvest of positive product reviews.
Choose to create your own account
Are you more of the lonely type? Here is the information you will need when creating your Seller Account on Amazon:
- Company name and contact
- Information and supporting documents concerning the company (KBis, RIB, identity documents of the manager, proof of address, etc.)
- Bank details (valid credit / debit card)
- Information about your service: delivery costs, shipping, and return policy, photos of packaging according to product category, etc.
- Additional information about the company: contact details of the “contact” person holding the Amazon account and those of the beneficiary of the account (a natural person who holds a large part of the company’s shares)
- If you are a manufacturer directly, you will also be able to register the trademark within Amazon, which will allow you more flexibility when managing product pages, in particular.
Amazon Seller Central account: the most important features to know
You now access the Amazon Seller Central interface, the essential tool for the daily management of your seller account. Visualization, management, control, and optimization of stocks, orders, advertising campaigns, your online store, and customer reviews are the main functionalities.
The 6 most important tabs to know and master are:
- Stock: The stock tab allows you to manage your stocks and view your active, out-of-stock, and inactive products. It also allows you to add products to your catalog.
- Orders: the Orders tab allows you to view your sales to be shipped (if you do not use the Amazon Prime service). You can get all the ordering information there, including the packing slip to attach to your Amazon package.
- Ads: The Ads tab allows you to create ad campaigns on the site. Amazon Sponsored Brands, Amazon Sponsored Products, Display ads: to learn more about how the Amazon Ads platform works and the different advertising solutions, go here (link to article 5). This tab will also allow you to optimize the user purchasing experience by adding A + content (visual descriptive content and written at the end of the page) to your product sheets.
- Stores: the Stores tab allows you to create and optimize your Amazon store. Here you can easily create your brand showcase within Amazon, in order to inform and reassure users about your products.
- Reports: the Reports tab gives you access to useful documents for your accounting as well as all the key figures of your activity: conversion rate, number of visits, number of sales, turnover, average basket, etc. It is the essential tab for monitoring the performance of your Seller account. You can customize this statistics tool by excluding or including the information you find most useful.
- Performance: the Performance tab mainly gives you access to customer evaluations on your products, as well as to Seller University, a veritable bible of Amazon best practices.
Amazon Seller Central Account Optimization
Our Amazon Jagz experts in charge of your account are proactive in optimizing it to maximize your sales. Here are some tips to apply when managing your account yourself:
- In case of need: you have access to Amazon’s help service for any questions, by going to the “Help” tab at the top right of your Seller account, then the “Get help” button at the bottom of the page. You access your Case Journal and choose a preferred contact method (email, chat, or phone).
- Inventory management: it is essential to optimize your stock level, in order to ensure the right level of availability, while anticipating future sales and replenishment times in the case of the FBA service. Also, make sure that the products have not passed their expiration date when applicable, and do so according to seasonality and certain sales peaks (Christmas, Black Friday, Prime day, etc.). It is possible and recommended to set up an alert system in order to better manage your stocks.
- Product page content: the product page is a key element in obtaining good SEO and therefore a high rate of conversion of page views into sales. Take care of your titles (Amazon-specific nomenclature with some tips to know), add several HD photos, fill in a product description with features rich in keywords with high search potential and anticipate customer questions with a detailed description at the end of the page and even A + content. The performance of your product page will also be optimized via other important criteria, such as a high number of positive reviews (at least 15 reviews, rating above 3 stars) or even with variations (same product sheet for different sizes or colors).
- Implementation of the FBA service: sellers who use FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon), that is to say, the Fulfilled by Amazon service, have access to various advantages allowing them to increase their sales and better cope with the competition. We invite you to refer to our article here (add FBA article link) for more details: better visibility, more chances of getting the Buy Box, Prime users fond of a fast delivery service, the Amazon management of logistics, and after-sales service.
Comparison: Amazon Seller Central vs Vendor Central
If you are a seller on Amazon, you may be a little lost with all the terminologies and the different formulas that the marketplace offers.
In this article, our Amazon agency would like to define what it means to be part of the Amazon Seller Central and Vendor Central program, as well as the main differences between the two.
1 What to choose between Seller Central and Vendor Central?
2 What is Amazon Seller Central?
3 What is Amazon Vendor Central?
4 Comparative table
5 The advantages of Vendor
- Central Consumer confidence
- Advanced features for your Amazon Ads
- A simplified business model
- A + content and other marketing tools
6 The disadvantages of Vendor Central Price control Demanding logistics
7 The benefits of Amazon Seller Central
- Price control
- Brand image management Enhanced Brand Content
8 The disadvantages of Seller Central
- Shipping costs
- Less sales
What to choose between Seller Central and Vendor Central?
The fundamental difference between Seller Central and Vendor Central comes down to asking yourself the question “Who is in charge of selling my products?”.
With Vendor Central, Amazon teams buy your stock from you and resell your products directly to their customers.
With the Seller Central program, you sell your products directly to consumers on Amazon.
The two programs show significant differences. It is therefore important to understand the opportunities and disadvantages that these two approaches can offer you.
Before we get to the heart of the matter, let’s define what Seller Central and Vendor Central are and what they offer to sellers.
What is Amazon Seller Central?
Amazon Seller Central is the web interface used by brands and merchants to manage and sell their products directly to buyers on Amazon. If you have a Seller Central account, you are considered a marketplace seller, that is, a third-party seller.
As a marketplace seller, you have two options for fulfilling orders received from Amazon customers. You can take care of shipping, customer service, and returns for every order you receive, or you can let Amazon handle all of these aspects for you by adding your products to the FBA: Fulfilled by Amazon program.
What is Amazon Vendor Central?
Amazon Vendor Central is the web interface used by manufacturers and distributors. If you sell through Vendor Central, you are considered an Amazon wholesaler.
You operate as a supplier, wholesaling your inventory of products to Amazon. Enrollment in the Vendor Central program is only by invitation that Amazon sends you (or not).
Amazon sellers who are part of the Vendor Central program can be identified by the words “Shipped and sold by Amazon” in the purchase box.
Below is a comparison chart showing the differences between the Seller Central and Vendor Central program.
- Open to all sellers
- Sell Direct to Amazon Buyers
- Flexible logistics control
- Quick payment terms
- The seller controls the sale price
- Basic features for Amazon Ads campaigns
- More complicated sales generation due to limited product visibility at the start
- Enhanced Brand Content
- By invitation only Sell to Amazon
- Framed logistics
- Traditional payment terms
- Amazon controls the sale price
- Access to Amazon Marketing Services (AMS)
- Ease of generating sales thanks to better product visibility
- A + content
The advantages of Vendor Central
Having your products sold through Vendor Central means that consumers see that they are “sold by Amazon” which naturally gives quality to the service and shipping of the item.
Advanced features for your Amazon Ads
Amazon Marketing Services (AMS) offers brands a powerful advertising solution to showcase their products when people browse. AMS gives sellers the opportunity to acquire visitors to their product pages by setting up Amazon advertising campaigns based on searched keywords.
While sellers on Seller Central can also take advantage of Amazon’s advertising services, Vendor Central members benefit from advanced features with access to Amazon Marketing Services to surgically target their target.
A simplified business model
The process of doing business with Amazon is easier through Vendor Central than Seller Central. As a seller, your primary focus is on fulfilling Amazon orders and invoicing. As a Seller Central seller using the FBA program, you will be responsible for disputes with buyers as well as loss and stockouts.
A + content and other marketing tools
If you sell through Vendor Central, Amazon gives you the option to enrich your product listings with premium content called A + Content. This content will generate the creation of a new section on the product sheets called “Manufacturer’s Description”.
You will also have the chance to participate in promotional programs such as the Vine Program allowing you to offer your products to a group of testers (chosen from among consumers) and thus quickly boost their ratings.
The disadvantages of Vendor Central
Amazon does not strictly adhere to the minimum price set by the seller, called Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP). Amazon can adjust the resale price of your products whenever it sees fit to what it thinks is most relevant.
Amazon has very strict and rigid rules regarding the fulfillment of its past orders. Sellers who find it difficult to maintain inventory or replenish it quickly will face additional fees and chargeback from Amazon.
The benefits of Amazon Seller Central
Seller Central provides you with a significant amount of consumer data for free. As a Seller Central seller, you have access to Amazon consumer behavioral data for multiple purposes. While retargeting Amazon consumers with this data is prohibited, you can still leverage it by analyzing what and where people buy most from Amazon. This can be an opportunity to start selling new, high-demand products.
With Amazon Seller Central, you can control the selling price of your products freely. You also have the possibility of aligning your prices automatically with those of your competitors which is not to be neglected, since we know that the price is an essential factor for the purchase of the customers and the algorithm of Amazon.
Brand image management
Sometimes manufacturers are amazed to find that their Amazon resellers are selling older versions of their products without their consent. Often, this kind of product offer is accompanied by outdated visuals and content that does not inspire consumer confidence in the brand.
The only way to implement a control for such practices via Seller Central is to register your trademark with the Amazon Marks Registry (Amazon Brand Registry).
Enhanced Brand Content
By registering your brand in the Amazon Brand Registry you unlock the possibility of enriching your product description, essential for your SEO on Amazon, with Enhanced Brand Content .
This premium content allows you, like A + Content, to provide more visuals and content for your product and thus increase the conversion rate of your pages.
The disadvantages of Seller Central
Often the cost of shipping orders is a cost in establishing a low selling price. At the time of writing this article, the minimum shipping charge for a non-FBA article is 2.79 euros, not including the commission taken by Amazon.
Studies have shown that “Sold and Fulfilled by Amazon” items sell better than products sold through FBA or directly by third-party sellers. Importantly, if other third-party sellers are selling the same product as you, you will be competing with them to appear in the Amazon Buy Box, otherwise, you will greatly decrease your chances of making sales.
Note that if your product does not appear in the purchase box, it will not be eligible for the implementation of Amazon Ads campaigns for Sponsored Products .
If you want to make sales on the internet, Amazon is the essential marketplace since 50% of product searches on the internet start on Amazon. Regarding your choice to join Vendor Central or Seller Central, the decision is not totally up to you since Vendor Central is only joined by invitation from Amazon to trusted brands that are the assurance of selling sales and realizing turnover.
The majority of Amazon sellers are therefore part of the Seller Central, which offers various options in terms of logistics management through the FBA program and setting up Amazon Ads campaigns to quickly attract new customers. Be careful though to focus on getting the buy box for your products first, otherwise, you won’t have a chance of making sales.
for website maintenance service contact us.